Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Interview with Author Carolyn Steamer

Sometimes I plan to do interviews with independent authors. Our first one is with poet/author Carolyn Steamer about her latest book EyceCreme...In Many Flavors.

 1. Tell me about your book. How did you come up with it? EyceCreme...In Many Flavors! is the result of many poetry pieces that I have written over the years as I struggled with being a single mother who was looking for "love" but didn't really understand what true love was. I eventually learned that a relationship with God is what I truly needed and then all of my other relationships started to blossom into something beautiful.
 2. How did you get interested in writing poetry? I got an interest in writing poetry when my daughter and I started to journal back and forth to each other. She lived with me but we would write in a journal to each other from week to week and I often wrote her a poem. One day she told me that I should write a book because my poetry "could heal the broken hearts of a lot of people". She is now deceased but I'm happy to say that she was able to see the release of this book before her passing.
3. What kind of research did you do for this book? There was really no research but I have a prayer life because many people will ask me to write about their family or friends who I have never met. I have to seek the knowledge and wisdom and God to feel something about these people. I can honestly say that of all the memorials that I have written, no one has been disappointed although I had never met their family or friend.
 4. What's a typical working day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you set a daily writing goal? I don't write every single day but there are days when I just can't stop writing. I have a full-time job but even at work, I can find myself deep in thought and a beautiful poetry piece meeting the face of the paper. It's amazing to me and every time I am awed at the fact that God gave THIS GIFT to me.
5. What is the hardest part of writing for you? The hardest part of writing for me would have to be when I am really hurting emotionally. I am extremely sensitive. Once I get started writing, I can go go go! But it's just that first character that I have to really struggle to get out. When my daughter passed away, I had so much inside of me to write but it still took me almost 7 months to write again. When I did, I birthed my second book.
 6. What’s the best thing about being an author? To me, the best thing about being an author/poet is the opportunity to go go where no man has gone before into the minds of emotion. I have been told that certain pieces in this book reminded people of themselves although I was writing about myself. I love what it feels like to find the words to say when someone else can't because I would never want a day to go by that I wasn't able to express myself to someone. I enjoy being able to do that for others just as well for birthdays, retirements, anniversaries, or memorials or other special occasions.
7. What are you working on now? I have taken a sabbatical from writing poetry for publication but I intend to resume in the latter part of 2015. I am currently pursuing my Master's Degree in Biblical Studies and that entails a lot of writing all its own.
8. What advice would you give aspiring writers? For aspiring writers, I would say, "Once you start, don't stop. Don't measure your success by the success of someone else because none of our talents are exactly the same because that would be boring. We were made to compliment each other and together our talents make something beautiful. Don't be afraid to be and stay unique....to have your own "flavor".
9. If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be? If I were writing a book about my life, I believe it would entitled "Through the Storms, Through the Rain...Still Standing!"

Thank you for sharing with us Carolyn. I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter, but I am sure she is proud of you and your accomplishments. If you would like to get Carolyn's latest book, EyceCreme…in Many Flavors, you can purchase it on line at Amazon.com by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment