Saturday, December 27, 2014

Author Interview with Robin Merrill on her book Grace Space A Direct Sales Tale



1. Tell me about your book. How did you come up with the story?

I dabbled in a few direct sales companies, trying desperately to pay the light bill. I found the whole subculture thoroughly entertaining and just wanted to explore that. This tale is 100% fiction, but I've heard from some saleswomen that it rings true. 



2. How did you get interested in writing this particular genre?

My background is in poetry, and then I moved into nonfiction, and fiction is very new to me. I didn't do it on purpose. It just sort of happened, but I'm thrilled! I've always liked to make up stories in my head (maybe even too much) so it only makes sense to try to get a few of them on paper.

3. What kind of research did you do for this book?

I didn't do any purposeful research. I just thought about my own experiences with direct sales, and then just tried to make them even more ridiculous.


4. What's a typical working day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you set a daily writing goal?

I'm a mom first, so I work around my kids, but I try to write for several hours each day. There is no set goal, but I usually have some deadlines spurring me on. While I do have a home office, I often end up writing on the couch, with children crawling all over me. 

5. What is the hardest part of writing for you?

The children! Just kidding. I find it difficult to make a protagonist both real and likable. To make a character realistic means to expose their flaws, right? Then my readers say, "I don't like her."

6. What’s the best thing about being an author?

The best thing about being an author is that I get paid to do what I would do anyway. I can't help but write. I'm so thankful people actually read my words. 

7. What are you working on now?

I am working on a nonfiction ghostwriting project and a new novel(la?)! I am very excited about the latter. 

8. What advice would you give aspiring writers?

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice, but here's what has helped me: hanging out with writers who are better than me. That means taking classes, participating in workshops, going to readings, and reading other writers. I could not possibly write in a vacuum. Well, I could, but that would be a diary.

9. Do you have any favorite authors or favorite books?

I have a lot of favorite authors and books. My all-time favorite is Richard Adams, but I am also a Stephen King junkie. And I love to read poetry. My fave poets include Robert Cording and Lauren Zuniga.

10. What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?

What a good question! I have no idea. One question that I like to be asked is, "Why did you become a writer?" because then I get to quote Rocky Balboa: "Because I couldn't sing or dance."

11. If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?

Blessed Chaos!
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like a fun book. If you would like to buy her book Grace Space A Direct Sales Tale just go to Amazon.com or click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment