Thursday, December 18, 2014

Author Interview with Val Newton Knowles on her book Everyday Uplifting You

Cover to the expanded paperback version
 

1. Tell me about your book. How did you come up with that idea?
My book, “Everyday Uplifting you,” is filled with short powerful uplifting quotes for each day of the year. The quotes are designed to jumpstart your day and to inspire you to keep going every day for the year. I wrote my first book, and was working on my second when one of my aunts went through a series of challenges. Being one of the strong aunts, it broke my heart to see her hurt so much. She had several strokes and lost her husband. Later, she fell in the yard and broke her hip requiring emergency surgery. I started writing the quotes to uplift her and they did. I had a specific book that was designed for her because it was never meant to be for sale. She was so blessed and encouraged, that I decided to make it available for anyone who might want to bless someone else or need an uplifting word themselves.

2. How did you get interested in writing in this particular genre?
 I believe that a part of my divine purpose is to motivate and uplift others. My first book, while not filled with quotes, is also filled with encouraging words geared towards pulling on the greatness that exists in all of us.

3. What kind of research did you do for this book?
This book for me was a labor of love, so I tried to express that every day in each quote. It is not written as me just making a quote, or saying words, but my readers will feel the empathy and compassion flowing from my heart to theirs, while edging them on with a “Together we can and we will attitude.”

4. What is a typical day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you set a daily writing goal? I am fully employed as an Assistant Financial Controller. My writing usually takes place late in the night ( when I am done with my daughter and school) or very early in the morning. The quiet times (2:00am) works great for me. Dr. Myles Munroe once said, setting goals are pointless if you don’t make the time to accomplish them. To fulfill your dreams may often require you getting up in the early morning or going to bed late, but it is a small price to pay when you are passionate about what you have to say.

5. What is the hardest part about writing for you?
  I believe for me, I need to exercise some patience. In writing, I try to put myself in the shoes of my readers. I am continually looking for ways that I can help them. Because my style is more uplifting and encouraging others, I look to my source, The Lord Jesus Christ for guidance on what to say that would be a benefit to my readers.

6. What is the best thing about being an author?
Being able to be a blessing to others and being able to touch the world with that message. Writing offers the author such freedom and as it takes me on a journey, I love being able to share it with the world and hopefully bless and empower them in the process.

7. What are you working on now?
I am currently re-doing my first book, “No Shame Only Power,” and also working on another manuscript offering practical steps on how to maintain what you have obtained.
 
8. What advice would you give aspiring writers?
Do not quit or give up on your dream. If you are convinced that this is what you are called to do. Do it and be consistent at it. No one can tell your story like you can, and believe it or not, there are people out there that need your story.

9. Who are your favorite authors?
Sheldon Newton, Dr. Myles Munroe, Dr. Creflo Dollar, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, John C. Maxwell. I am currently reading a book by Dr. Munroe, “Releasing your Potential.” The Bible remains my favorite book of all time and I read it daily.

10. What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question? What is it that inspires me to keep going?
 I believe that I have a gift for writing, but more importantly, I believe that there is a message to be told. There are a lot of people all over the world that are hurting and some have lost all hope. Writing allows me to help restore some of that and give people back some hope. Our situations and problems in life are universal and I am honored to be able to be a voice that can uplift us and tell us that no matter how it looks hope will be the light that will guide us safely through.

11. If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?
“She soared and carried others on her wings.” Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Val. If you want to get her book you can click here to get the kindle version. or you can click here to get the expanded paperback version of Everyday Uplifting You.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dr. Philips
    thank you for your inspiring articles. I read the short story: 'Jessie's glove' and I would like to have your permission to publish it in a book I wrote.
    The book is a compilation of articles I wrote on life, stress, family, etc.
    I would really appreciate it.
    Please let me know.
    All the best
    Marilena
    The book is in Italian and I have the translation of your story. It will have your name of author.
    marilenatrevor@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete